Star Citizen is a popular space simulation game developed by Cloud Imperium Games. While many players enjoy playing the game, some may want to uninstall it for various reasons, such as freeing up storage space or moving on to other games.
To uninstall Star Citizen from your computer, go to the control panel, select “Programs and Features,” find Star Citizen, and click on “Uninstall.” Follow the prompts to complete the process, and then delete any remaining files and folders related to the game.
In this blog post, we will guide you through the steps to uninstall Star Citizen from your computer, including how to remove all its associated files and folders, and how to clean up the registry. So, whether you are a new player who wants to try out other games or an experienced player who needs to free up some space, this blog post will provide you with all the information you need to uninstall Star Citizen properly.
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Uninstall Star Citizen
Sure! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to uninstall Star Citizen from your computer:
Step 1: Close Star Citizen and all its related processes
Before you start the uninstallation process, make sure to close Star Citizen and all its related processes that might be running in the background. To do this, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager, and then look for any Star Citizen-related processes and click “End Task” to stop them.
Step 2: Uninstall Star Citizen from Control Panel
To uninstall Star Citizen from your computer, you can use the built-in uninstaller in the Control Panel. Here are the steps to do so:
- Click the “Start” menu and select “Control Panel.”
- Under “Programs,” click “Uninstall a program.”
- Locate Star Citizen in the list of installed programs and click on it.
- Click “Uninstall” and follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
Step 3: Delete the Star Citizen folder
After uninstalling Star Citizen from the Control Panel, there might still be some residual files left on your computer. To remove them, you need to manually delete the Star Citizen folder from your computer. Here are the steps to do so:
- Open the File Explorer and navigate to the folder where Star Citizen was installed (usually in the “C:\Program Files” or “C:\Program Files (x86)” folder).
- Locate the “Cloud Imperium Games” folder and right-click on it.
- Select “Delete” and confirm the action.
Step 4: Remove Star Citizen registry entries
There might still be some Star Citizen registry entries left on your computer, which can cause errors and slow down your computer. Here are the steps to remove them:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “regedit” and click “OK” to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
- Locate and delete the “Cloud Imperium Games” folder by right-clicking on it and selecting “Delete.”
- Next, navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
- Locate the “Star Citizen” entry and delete it by right-clicking on it and selecting “Delete.”
Step 5: Restart your computer
After completing all the above steps, it’s a good idea to restart your computer to ensure that all the changes take effect.
And that’s it! By following these steps, you should be able to completely uninstall Star Citizen from your computer.
Common problems when uninstalling Star Citizen
- Error messages: When attempting to uninstall Star Citizen, you may encounter error messages indicating that certain files or components cannot be removed.
- Uninstallation incomplete or unsuccessful: Sometimes, the uninstallation process may appear to complete successfully, but some files or components may still be present on your system.
Solutions to common problems:
How to troubleshoot error messages
a. Check the error message carefully: Look for specific details about the error, such as error codes or descriptions of the files or components that are causing the issue.
b. Search for solutions online: Use search engines to look for solutions to the specific error message you received. You may find forum posts or support articles that provide solutions or workarounds.
c. Contact support: If you cannot find a solution online, contact the Star Citizen support team for assistance. They may be able to provide specific guidance for resolving the error message you received.
How to complete a failed or incomplete uninstallation
a. Restart your computer: Sometimes, restarting your computer can resolve issues that were preventing the uninstallation process from completing successfully.
b. Try uninstalling again: After restarting your computer, attempt to uninstall Star Citizen again. If it still fails, try using a third-party uninstaller tool.
c. Use a third-party uninstaller tool: There are several third-party uninstaller tools available that can help remove stubborn files or components. Some popular options include Revo Uninstaller and IObit Uninstaller.
d. Manually delete remaining files or components: If all else fails, you can manually delete any remaining files or components related to Star Citizen. However, be careful when doing this, as deleting the wrong files could cause issues with your system.
frequently asked questions
1. How do I reinstall the Star Citizen launcher?
To reinstall the Star Citizen launcher, download the installer from the official website, run it, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
2. Can I delete my Star Citizen account?
Yes, you can delete your Star Citizen account by contacting their customer support team and requesting account deletion. However, keep in mind that deleting your account will permanently remove all associated game data, purchases, and progress.
3. Can I start over with Star Citizen?
Yes, you can start over in Star Citizen by creating a new account or resetting your current account.